On 19 May 2018, the Council of Prince of Songkla University has put forth a resolution to appoint Asst. Prof. Dr. Niwat Keawpradub as the new president of Prince of Songkla University for the next four years. The resolution took effect on June 1, 2018, replacing outgoing PSU president Assoc. Prof. Dr. Chusak Limsakul.
Asst. Prof. Dr. Niwat Keawpradub obtained a Bachelor’s degree from the PSU Faculty of Pharmacy in 1987, a Master’s degree from the Faculty of Pharmacy at Chulalongkorn University in 1990, and a PhD in Pharmacognosy from the Department of Pharmacy, King’s College, University of London in 1998. Dr. Niwat is the first alumnus of Prince of Songkla University to hold the position of PSU president.
With over 20 years of successful management experience, Dr. Niwat’s modern vision, leadership skills and cooperative capabilities are widely recognized by the faculty, staff and students of PSU’s five campuses. These qualities are consistent with PSU’s core concepts, resulting in management practices with clear vision and good governance.
Before being nominated as PSU President, Dr. Niwat held high-ranking administrative positions at the institution, including Vice President for Planning and Finance, Vice President for Student Development, Sports and Culture, and Dean of the Faculty of Pharmacy. It was during this time, in 2006, that PSU pharmacy students held the #1 record in the country for passing the national Pharmacist Qualifying Examination, at a 90.1% success rate.
The core strategy of the university has been transformed into practice for future management, with the six approaches and methods detailed as follows:
- Strengthening relations and collaborating with external and internal organizations, alumni and institutions both in the country and abroad.
- Expanding the role of human resources development and the way of life in every generation to develop social, economic and natural resources and the environment.
- Transforming research into innovative research and innovation management systems, aimed at enhancing knowledge and intelligence.
- Accelerating internationalization and collaboration processes at PSU, and developing a universal curriculum. Focus is directed towards supporting cooperation that benefits Thailand.
- Creating an accessible learning environment that promotes lifelong education for all generations.
- Encouraging a “living organism” approach to define PSU: a healthy organization that focuses on personal development, adapting community management techniques and undergoing appropriate adjustments in policies, quality assurance and capacity development.